Pretty isn't it?? (especially at 21 stories high-thanks dad!)
That was our storm last night. You know the "big one" that always gets those meteorologists worked up, talking, this is what they look forward to every year kind of storm? Yeah, this has wall-cloud, funnel-cloud, possible tornado-system painted all over it. But, you know what else it has? A I'm-going-to-ruin-Cajunfest-at-Riverfest hiding in it's hot-meets-cold front. It was awful. And now I'm mad at it. Because this is our last year here at Riverfest.
But when you can't get that good home cookin'- red beans and rice, jambalaya, and bread pudding, what's the next best thing? A Papa John's that is right down the street, and even better...underground.
Yeah, so maybe our evening didn't go as expected. Speaking in our best N'awlins' accents, tapping our feet to the jazz band playing "As the Saint's Go Marchin' In", or listening to my Dad retelling the glory days when he lived in the Louisiana heat.
It may not have been what we expected, but it was everything to take a moment, stop, and have an impromptu evening in a pizza parlor with family and friends who we love. Part of the moments that I will remember, and hold close when I look back and think of our time here in Kansas.

I'm sure the meteorologists will remember it for the hook echo and close call. And the wheat farmers will remember it for the inches and chance to wet their drying crop.
But I know how I'll remember it.
I'll remember it as the night when time stood still. When that little pizza parlor on Douglas Avenue heard us laugh til we cried, tell stories of times past, long and gone, and of when we found out how you can cheat playing a game of rock-paper-scissors. It just goes to show, there's more to life than what we have planned.
But when you can't get that good home cookin'- red beans and rice, jambalaya, and bread pudding, what's the next best thing? A Papa John's that is right down the street, and even better...underground.
Yeah, so maybe our evening didn't go as expected. Speaking in our best N'awlins' accents, tapping our feet to the jazz band playing "As the Saint's Go Marchin' In", or listening to my Dad retelling the glory days when he lived in the Louisiana heat.
It may not have been what we expected, but it was everything to take a moment, stop, and have an impromptu evening in a pizza parlor with family and friends who we love. Part of the moments that I will remember, and hold close when I look back and think of our time here in Kansas.
I'm sure the meteorologists will remember it for the hook echo and close call. And the wheat farmers will remember it for the inches and chance to wet their drying crop.
But I know how I'll remember it.
I'll remember it as the night when time stood still. When that little pizza parlor on Douglas Avenue heard us laugh til we cried, tell stories of times past, long and gone, and of when we found out how you can cheat playing a game of rock-paper-scissors. It just goes to show, there's more to life than what we have planned.

No comments:
Post a Comment