4.12.2012

If I could have a heart-to-heart with myself...

Things I wish I could have told myself 10 years ago.

This is a fun practice that you can do at any age...a timeless practice.

And I think it brings out some good hidden, raw advice.

Let me try it:

Act your age.
Don't lose yourself trying to find love.
Learn how to cook three good meals. Like from scratch.
Wash your clothes. Weekly.
It's okay to stray and not attend college right out of high school.
Take care of your body. It's not unbreakable.
Appreciate silence.
Dare to dream.
Brands and labels are just more stitching, and its not worth the debt.
Work hard. And when you think you're there, push yourself that extra mile.
Volunteer. Lend your hand and heart to those that need it more than you.
Travel.
Keystone Light is really not that good.
Invest your time in good friendships.
Nothing beats rolling with the windows down, and your favorite song on the radio.
This will be a lifelong addiction.
Smile. Life's not supposed to be all figured out yet. Ever.
Hug your grandparents a lot.
And your parents.
Get a puppy.
Pick up a camera.
When you're in a bind, two words: don't pawn.
As much as you swear off the 80s, they will come back.
And you will one day love the cheesy Molly Ringwald movies you once swore lifelong hatred to.
Your high school crush was an idiot and the sooner you let it go the better.
Go to more concerts.
That one time you...never mind, do it. You learned a good lesson there.
Be original.
There will be a day you're driving a minivan...drive that convertible like it's going out of style.
Because it will.
Don't accept other's definitions of who you are or who you want to be. Even those who you love.
You're the one holding the dictionary.
Start a collection. One that you'll be able to show off to your kids someday.
Pray.
You really can fall in love and meet your soul mate right out of high school.
And it will lead you to some of the best breathtaking moments in your life.
There's nothing wrong with your legs.
Or your hair.
Or your face.
It'll all get better.
Use sunscreen.
Tanning is for lack of a better word, stupid.
Start a savings account. A modest one is better than none.
Country music is not so bad. You'll start listening to it.
I know Dad, not a proud moment.
Stay grounded.
When life throws you curve balls at least you can say you swung.
Keep playing sports.
If you don't love it, don't do it.
I know those odd jobs you took seemed ridiculous at the time, but it beefed up your skills section.
And you learned how to count back change.
You're worth it.
And don't be afraid of the future.
It's going to be good...




2 comments:

  1. i like wash your clothes( do it while your with your best friend!). and hug your parents. i did every time with my mom & dad. love you dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, Gary. I wish I could have had the chance to meet him.

    ReplyDelete