It seems as if I've become less visible on this blog lately. It's not an accident. I've been trying to become more conscious of getting back into our groove. Working on setting out intentions for our year to come. This year of potential great change. But more on that later.
For now, I'll distract everyone with cute pictures of these two...
Today Katelynn told me that she felt different and out of place from many in her class. Not too concerned for our little independent soul, I asked her why she felt that way.
"Well, Mom I just like to read a lot. And other kids they don't know why. But I just do."
Second graders, huh?
I thought to myself before speaking, not wanting to make a big deal out of it. Putting away my speech "those who like to beat to their own drum" for another day.
I answered, "You know what sweetie, you keep reading. Because when I was younger I made a wish that my future kids someday would be big readers."
She looked at me closely, her eyes scanning my face.
"Did you wish on a shooting star?"
I nodded.
"Then I guess it came true."
Caleb has a new little routine in the morning that touches my young heart. When Mark takes Katelynn to school, Caleb and I have 20 minutes to ourselves before he walks to the bus stop by himself. He gets his backpack ready for the day, then picks up a book while asking, "Mom can I read to you?" I'm surprised I can keep it together in the mornings and not turn into a soppy puddle of gratitude. I will never tire of our kids reaching for books. This is everything.
Caleb had his second middle school band concert this month. He loves getting dressed up and performing. We are fortunate, here in Athens, to have a community that supports the arts. You can tell by the way the band teacher cares about growing each of the kids. We are so proud of this opportunity for Caleb...he enjoys the trombone but is "open" to trying other things. After the concert he expressed an interest in the percussion instruments. Taking after his father.
Katelynn had a simple, fun request to provide a unique service to our neighbors. She wanted a table outside for a "Paper Plane Making" company. If the customers provided the paper, she would make them a paper plane for FREE! Unfortunately, the rainy day turned our efforts inside and we had so much fun practicing making planes and then testing them on unfortunate Lincoln Log houses. Can't say we had too many predictable flight patterns-- but we did have a lot of fun. As for the future company...we're open and ready for business as the days get warmer.
It's so funny, I go through phases where antiquing/thrifting takes over my subconscious like something out there is calling me. I fight the urge, but more often than not I find myself in the familiar corners of previously owned treasure. I can't help it. All this time I used to think it a silly hobby, but with more practice I'm starting to find that it is a source of inspiration. My soul knew this long before I caught on. So away I will continue to go...you keep digging long enough and it will find you.
Speaking of soul-finding...ever since my journey to the Pacific Northwest I have been obsessed with fog. There's something completely mystifying about that heaviness in the air. Colors brighten for me. The world looks like it stops and goes back a few hundred years. Hauntingly beautiful. Here, now-- listen to this and see it...
Many people have been asking about my writing. This excites me so much. To have this kind of support system surrounds me like a big, warm hug. It is inspiring and makes such a difference in a writer's life. While revising and reworking my novel that I wrote for NaNoWriMo I had a lightning fast-movie-preview-sort book idea. It was incredibly powerful and has taken much of my focus these days. So I'm trying to figure out this incredible honor of writing two stories at the same time. I don't know if it is even possible, but the vibe I get in the creative world is that anything is possible. So I work, tediously at times, tirelessly at times, to bring these big ideas into the book-binding form that can be shared to all who want to read. I am getting my writing groove figured out, more importantly. Figuring out how to best come to the pen and paper. What works and doesn't work. What is feasible for life as a wife, mother, nurse, etc. I will figure it out, no worries. But have decided to also pursue other short story-article writing on the side for my "mental" breaks. I will say, it won't be too long until I start asking for some serious, trusted readers for the content that I'm writing...just so I can get a clear picture of the message that I'm working across. Please let me know if you'd be so interested. I'd be very grateful. And will do my best to keep it interesting.
Until next time, I will leave you with my favorite quote from the late Harper Lee's 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. Her words will echo throughout the generations. A reason why we each strive so much to build something with our own two hands. We want to leave something in this world for others. She did in so many ways, and for that I am eternally grateful.
For now, I'll distract everyone with cute pictures of these two...
Today Katelynn told me that she felt different and out of place from many in her class. Not too concerned for our little independent soul, I asked her why she felt that way.
"Well, Mom I just like to read a lot. And other kids they don't know why. But I just do."
Second graders, huh?
I thought to myself before speaking, not wanting to make a big deal out of it. Putting away my speech "those who like to beat to their own drum" for another day.
I answered, "You know what sweetie, you keep reading. Because when I was younger I made a wish that my future kids someday would be big readers."
She looked at me closely, her eyes scanning my face.
"Did you wish on a shooting star?"
I nodded.
"Then I guess it came true."
Caleb has a new little routine in the morning that touches my young heart. When Mark takes Katelynn to school, Caleb and I have 20 minutes to ourselves before he walks to the bus stop by himself. He gets his backpack ready for the day, then picks up a book while asking, "Mom can I read to you?" I'm surprised I can keep it together in the mornings and not turn into a soppy puddle of gratitude. I will never tire of our kids reaching for books. This is everything.
Caleb had his second middle school band concert this month. He loves getting dressed up and performing. We are fortunate, here in Athens, to have a community that supports the arts. You can tell by the way the band teacher cares about growing each of the kids. We are so proud of this opportunity for Caleb...he enjoys the trombone but is "open" to trying other things. After the concert he expressed an interest in the percussion instruments. Taking after his father.
Katelynn had a simple, fun request to provide a unique service to our neighbors. She wanted a table outside for a "Paper Plane Making" company. If the customers provided the paper, she would make them a paper plane for FREE! Unfortunately, the rainy day turned our efforts inside and we had so much fun practicing making planes and then testing them on unfortunate Lincoln Log houses. Can't say we had too many predictable flight patterns-- but we did have a lot of fun. As for the future company...we're open and ready for business as the days get warmer.
It's so funny, I go through phases where antiquing/thrifting takes over my subconscious like something out there is calling me. I fight the urge, but more often than not I find myself in the familiar corners of previously owned treasure. I can't help it. All this time I used to think it a silly hobby, but with more practice I'm starting to find that it is a source of inspiration. My soul knew this long before I caught on. So away I will continue to go...you keep digging long enough and it will find you.
Speaking of soul-finding...ever since my journey to the Pacific Northwest I have been obsessed with fog. There's something completely mystifying about that heaviness in the air. Colors brighten for me. The world looks like it stops and goes back a few hundred years. Hauntingly beautiful. Here, now-- listen to this and see it...
Katelynn calls these water droplets rain crystals...and I love how beautiful the world is in her eyes. It reminds me to look beyond the ordinary. Beyond the gray skies and the four walls that our lives become confined to. To take a closer look and see the simplicity of water droplets. Let them be our compass. Search for the little reminders that we are here. We matter. Even down to the tiny molecules that make things what they are. As small as it seems, it's still important. Everything is a part of us...we are all connected. We are all rain crystals.
Many people have been asking about my writing. This excites me so much. To have this kind of support system surrounds me like a big, warm hug. It is inspiring and makes such a difference in a writer's life. While revising and reworking my novel that I wrote for NaNoWriMo I had a lightning fast-movie-preview-sort book idea. It was incredibly powerful and has taken much of my focus these days. So I'm trying to figure out this incredible honor of writing two stories at the same time. I don't know if it is even possible, but the vibe I get in the creative world is that anything is possible. So I work, tediously at times, tirelessly at times, to bring these big ideas into the book-binding form that can be shared to all who want to read. I am getting my writing groove figured out, more importantly. Figuring out how to best come to the pen and paper. What works and doesn't work. What is feasible for life as a wife, mother, nurse, etc. I will figure it out, no worries. But have decided to also pursue other short story-article writing on the side for my "mental" breaks. I will say, it won't be too long until I start asking for some serious, trusted readers for the content that I'm writing...just so I can get a clear picture of the message that I'm working across. Please let me know if you'd be so interested. I'd be very grateful. And will do my best to keep it interesting.
Until next time, I will leave you with my favorite quote from the late Harper Lee's 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. Her words will echo throughout the generations. A reason why we each strive so much to build something with our own two hands. We want to leave something in this world for others. She did in so many ways, and for that I am eternally grateful.










No comments:
Post a Comment