I have always believed in love. I knew what it meant. How it looked, and had a glimpse of what it felt like. I knew that my someone would show up in the pages of my future.
I never for one moment wanted that fairytale romance. I knew that it was all for show. There was a part of me, deep inside that knew fairytales were not what made love real. Not what made it grow. It was the day to day, didn't get enough sleep last night, dishes in the sink and bills need to get paid reality where it needed to be strong and steady.
I knew that love showed up when the babies woke you up at night. It knocked on the door when you weren't happy at your job. It covered you like a warm quilt when you felt scared or insecure. It waved at you from across the street when it knew you felt the pull to step outside yourself to discover what all you could offer the world. It hugged you tight, even when everything on the surface looked fine but inside there was tossing and turning.
Love looks at you when you can't look at yourself.
Thirteen years I have had this amazing love with my best friend. Mark, I love you with a fierceness and growing heart. Every day when I think that I love you the most, I go to sleep at night looking at you and knowing that our love has taken us to new places.
That day so long ago, when we said "I do" we were completely different people. And it was the process of shifting and moving, making ourselves into people that we wanted to be. We changed and grew together. I feel like that is such a wonderful gift. I will be forever grateful of our life. Forever grateful and in love with you.
Happy Anniversary baby. Here's to our happily ever after.



No comments:
Post a Comment