12.29.2014

home for the holidays part 1

We went home for the holidays.

HOME.

Kansas... the place where we were born and raised. Where our kids were brought into this world. Where dreams came into focus. Where generations of family we may have never known are sealed into traditions, artifacts and pictures. A place where we parted from almost four years ago, never knowing what kind of journey we would go on. Never realizing the awakening that pairs itself with "scared out of our minds" and "let's just go for it."

Kansas will always be a home base for us. And though sometimes I frequently struggle with calling it "home" because I've always been a believer in the sappy Hallmark phrases of "home is where the heart is." But in that sense, I suppose pieces of our hearts will always remain in the midwest expanse that we long for now and again. The places that may not make our hearts thump with longing adventure like it used to, but instead that much needed thump of recognizable.

Our heart's struggle is mostly about those familiar faces. The ones who gave us nods of encouragement and love when we went away. Who have continued with phone calls, emails, and texts to show us their unwavering support in our absence. These are the heartbreaking moments of returning. When you get a glimpse into life as it likely should be, but isn't. When meeting for a quick morning coffee or a last minute movie becomes obsolete. Instead it is a year-long anticipated event that seems to fall victim to the minutes. I try not to get too overcome with this feeling, and instead embrace the moments. The realization that life is always going to be too short, whether you're near or far. When you stop looking at it all in time increments and instead find those significant details in a smile, a look, a smell, a hug, a laugh.... That is when life is long. When our presence is less intimidating.

I'm going to leave with a small travel photo collage and start editing/organizing all of the pictures for a capture-friendly post to follow. For now work is calling, people are sick, and I will do what I like best...making people feel better.

Until next time...


Hope everyone is feeling well and enjoying the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment