Dear Caleb,
If you would have told me on this day back in 2004 what life would be like with a son, I would have had to blink twice. Perhaps I could have imagined the sleepless nights, the rocking chair with a bottle in my hand, the quick bandaids to cover skinned knees, and the soccer ball hanging out in our back yard. I could have pondered over the talks about girls, the lessons about life in general, the ways we would explain spirituality to you. I could have been prepared for all of that.


But what I didn't know. What I could not have imagined. This is what I have difficulty putting into words. The thoughts to myself on the evening that I first met you. When tiny feet and hands filled my hopes and dreams into something tangible that maybe I did not even know I had a capacity of feeling.


Your eyes is what I remember. Those ocean blues that made my heart skip a beat. That night, when I first held you...they sent me little messages hinting to the boy you would become. My heart was so full. I had no idea how much more it could hold...

That's the amazing thing, son, being our firstborn you opened our hearts to a whole new kind of love. I cannot thank you enough for that, sweet Caleb.







If you would have told me on this day back in 2004 what life would be like with a son, I would have had to blink twice. Perhaps I could have imagined the sleepless nights, the rocking chair with a bottle in my hand, the quick bandaids to cover skinned knees, and the soccer ball hanging out in our back yard. I could have pondered over the talks about girls, the lessons about life in general, the ways we would explain spirituality to you. I could have been prepared for all of that.


But what I didn't know. What I could not have imagined. This is what I have difficulty putting into words. The thoughts to myself on the evening that I first met you. When tiny feet and hands filled my hopes and dreams into something tangible that maybe I did not even know I had a capacity of feeling.


Your eyes is what I remember. Those ocean blues that made my heart skip a beat. That night, when I first held you...they sent me little messages hinting to the boy you would become. My heart was so full. I had no idea how much more it could hold...

That's the amazing thing, son, being our firstborn you opened our hearts to a whole new kind of love. I cannot thank you enough for that, sweet Caleb.


And the person you are becoming...
More than I could have ever hoped. You continue to find ways to surprise us. Your laugh. Your wit. Your brilliance. Your humbleness.

You are amazing, son.


We will always love you, Caleb.


Happy Birthday son. We are so proud of you and love you very much!


No comments:
Post a Comment