Walking the kids to school this morning, I got a little emotional...which is happening a lot lately.
Sentimentalism has started shaking my shoulders more often, as I've been getting older. But more specifically, as our kids are hitting milestones.
Today was our last day of school. And the last day both of our kids will be attending the same school, until they get to high school. Which will be a whole new milestone. But let's leave that subject alone for now...the tissue count is already at a high.
Katelynn has had mixed feelings on her big brother leaving elementary and moving on to middle school. Of course she will miss him, and we will miss that little special time in the morning, walking them the short 10 minutes and talking to them both about their day.
Caleb, however, is always reassuring to his crazy, red eyed mother:
"It's okay mom, I'll still be the same boy."
Oh, I know son. You will still have that smile.
Sentimentalism has started shaking my shoulders more often, as I've been getting older. But more specifically, as our kids are hitting milestones.
Today was our last day of school. And the last day both of our kids will be attending the same school, until they get to high school. Which will be a whole new milestone. But let's leave that subject alone for now...the tissue count is already at a high.
Katelynn has had mixed feelings on her big brother leaving elementary and moving on to middle school. Of course she will miss him, and we will miss that little special time in the morning, walking them the short 10 minutes and talking to them both about their day.
Caleb, however, is always reassuring to his crazy, red eyed mother:
"It's okay mom, I'll still be the same boy."
Oh, I know son. You will still have that smile.
That gentle nod that tells me you are okay with the world. Your place in it, shining brightly for all to see.
We are so proud of you Caleb!
Katelynn, you are also our shining star. We've watched you grow so much this year. Your smile kind, your laugh infectious. Your teachers say you always make others feel welcome, and invite them to read books with you and play with you.
Today, at school dismissal, I couldn't contain my emotions watching the entire school of classes line the halls and watch the 5th graders walk down their school's hall one more time. The loud cheers and shouts of all the kids, encouraging them on their next journey.
It's official, summer has begun.
No comments:
Post a Comment