5.13.2011

the end of a journey

Yesterday marked the end of a little journey I've had called nursing school.

I'll never forget asking a 'seasoned' nurse in the halls of a hospital if she had any advice on getting through nursing school. She asked with a smile, "Are you staying up til 2am studying only to get up at 5am for clinicals?" With a big sigh I replied, "yes". She placed a hand on my shoulder and said, "you're going to do just fine."

Some other things I'll never forget...

~that first patient I had, and hoping to God I didn't look as scared as I was

~the feel of putting on surgical scrubs and blending in

~hoping that my inexperienced eyes wouldn't give me away

~passing tests, putting projects together, and those dreaded CPE's
1st semester clinical group

~holding the hand of a dying man, holding the head of a newborn
2nd semester clinical group

~finding out how to ask questions
last day on the psych unit

~how to live with the answers
last day of 3rd semester

~laughing, crying, and not being ashamed because in this profession you can care
last day of clinicals

~my fellow classmates, and all that we have shared together
presenting the graduating class of Butler Nursing Spring 2011

~and having the most incredible person with me this entire journey.

Thank you Sasha. I have no words to describe how much you have enhanced my life. You're such an inspiration and I'm thankful for our wonderful friendship.
(PS-I see a beach and margarita's in our near future)

And last night's graduation...thank you everybody for coming and helping me celebrate. Because of your continued love and support I felt so proud to have you all there. You all have been wonderful and I appreciate each and every one of you!







Jess, you're supposed to photo-shopped in here...I guess you and your twin



And now to give a very special thanks to my family. You saw me at my worst and very infrequent best. I could not be here today without your unconditional love and support.  
Thank you for sending me your love the countless hours that I was away. For giving me the ability to be strong when I felt weak, for keeping my head up whenever my heart was discouraged...I was able to because of your unwavering love. 
This day is as much a gift for you as it is for me. 
A day that has been long-anticipated; that we have worked so hard for.
We did it baby!

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATS Aimee. Such a big accomplishment... After so much hard work! Now on to Boards! So sorry we couldn't make it to celebrate with you. I'll try to bring your gift by this weekend or early next week.

    Congratulations and good luck on a long and fulfilling nursing career:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shelia!! It is still not quite "hitting" me yet that I'm done. But maybe that's because you're never done learning :) You have been such an inspiration to me, and I look forward to continuing on this amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete