4.18.2011

tough days

As I picked Caleb up from school today, he had his head hung low, and a look of pure misfortune. Worried that maybe he had a had a "red" day (a rating system they use for behavior), or had the teacher breathing down his neck (this Mama can be quite sensitive to constructive criticism), I instantly went into investigative mode.
"What's wrong, honey? Is everything okay?"
He gave me a quick glance and informed me that he had a bad day, but he wanted to tell me about it on the way home. I searched and gave up after I couldn't see his teacher around for an explanation, then we started our trek back to our street. After getting some distance from the school he began to open up that he and one of his close friends had an argument today at recess.
*Sigh* nothing serious.
They had both said they weren't going to be friends anymore because one of them instigated spiraling threats of "you can't play this with me" and "I won't invite you over," you know the normal kid things that consume that 20 minutes of freedom from the structured classroom.
However, I could sympathize. Caleb gets my intense sensitivity and I remember plenty a recess, walking around the playground by myself because my BFF and I had it out over friendship bracelets and who could play four-square the best (remember that game?? it was the awesome, and I was the best).
So, from the depths of my 7 year old soul, I could sympathize. When you lose a friend, whether it be for the short term or long term, it's nothing to take lightly. I couldn't tell you how many friendships I have grieved over, and I'm sure I am not alone. At some point, your differences come out and you may say or do things that you didn't mean to. But, if you're lucky, and I'm talking lucky you are able to work things out, and gain a better friendship in the long run. One in which you can be yourself-truly-and that other person can be too. I have been through the friendship ringer so many times in my life (I really have thought about writing a book), and have realized that being a good friend is one of the best things you can do... enriching those around you. Even if you have to do the give and take, master it, because good friends are worth it.
The heartache I felt today for my son was magnified more at the reality that this will not be the only time that he'll feel this way. But no matter how badly I wanted to get back on that playground with him, to find out a way to fix everything and make it all better, I know that we all have to grow from experiences like he had today. It's never easy being the parent in these situations, watching your child hurt because someone doesn't see them the way you do. But I tell you what we can do. We can curl up with them, hold them close, tell them that we love them, and that tomorrow is a new day. 

1 comment:

  1. It is definitely tough watching him go through certain things. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the morning.

    ReplyDelete